Background & Studies
The Glamorgan site began construction in 1964 and included a lodge and cottages. The site was decommissioned in 2000 and its residents were offered homes in the newly-built Aspen Lodge.
According to Calgary Herald archives in an article dated May 29, 1978:
- Elbow Valley Lodge board decided to abandon a matron’s policy that senior female residents could not wear pant suits.
- Ald. Sue Higgins against the decision to allow unmarried seniors to live together in MCF accommodations.
- MCF Administrator Dave Turner was also against the decision: “I’m against it. I think that any promiscuity in the lodges should be closely watched.”
- Ald. Barb Scott and Ald. Gordon Shrake overruled Higgins.
- Higgins: “We’ve reached the stage where we believe old people are so unimportant that we don’t care about their morals.”