Silvera’s services continue to evolve with the needs of its residents.
The Memory Care Program was launched at the Beaverdam community in southeast Calgary to allow residents with mild to moderate dementia to continue living in a Silvera community, with the highest quality of life possible.
Residents are still able to take care of themselves with some assistance, but their memory-care needs exceed the current service level offered at Silvera’s other communities.
The Memory Care Program includes housekeeping, meals, emergency call bell system in each suite, and 24-hour Health Care Aide assistance through Alberta Health Services.
Activities are tailored towards supporting residents’ memory needs and capabilities and may include reminders (cueing) and encouraging social interaction.
We recommend residents initiate either an activated Personal Directive or Guardianship and Power of Attorney. Silvera can help make these arrangements through the Community Resource Program.
Is the Memory Care Program right for me?
Yes, if you:
- Are at least 65 years of age. Underage applicants may be considered;
- Are a non-smoker;
- Are unable to manage safely in current living environment;
- Can still function successfully with cueing and monitoring;
- Have personal care needs that can be met by Home Care; and
- Are a Home Care client, or are willing to accept Home Care services.
For health and safety reasons, Beaverdam is a no-smoking community. There are no designated smoking areas.