Having physical challenges such as reduced mobility or vision impairment shouldn’t prevent you from taking part in senior activities or being an active member of the Community.
That’s why Silvera for Seniors launched the Mobility Support Program at its Shawnessy Community in southwest Calgary.
Shawnessy offers 15 barrier-free suites suitable for wheelchairs, including:
- Roll-in showers
- Wider doorways
- Emergency call bell system
The program accommodates all regular Supportive Living services (housekeeping, meals, activities, and 24-hour Health Care Aide assistance provided by Alberta Health Services).
Program members take part in the wide range of social and wellness activities offered at Shawnessy, such as the innovative Cane Fun exercise program.
Am I eligible for the Mobility Support Program?
You may be if you:
- Have mobility challenges and need to use a scooter or wheelchair.
- Require transfers involving no more than one person, but no mechanical lift requirements.
- Require assistance due to physical challenges that may include vision impairment or balance problems, or requiring help administering oxygen.
- Have difficultly living in your current environment due to environmental barriers and/or care needs.
- Are on Home Care or have unscheduled care needs (such as needing help transferring to the washroom or bed).
You are eligible if you are:
- At least 65.
- Unable to continue living in your current environment due to barriers and/or care needs.
- Unable to identify your own needs and call for required help.
- Are medically stable and do not have memory issues (i.e. dementia) that impact daily living.
- Please note: Only single’s suites are available at present.
Silvera promotes a smoke-free environment.