Having physical challenges such as reduced mobility or vision impairment shouldn’t prevent you from taking part in senior activities or being an active member of the community.
That’s why Silvera for Seniors launched the Mobility Support Program at its Shawnessy community in southwest Calgary.
Shawnessy offers 15 barrier-free suites suitable for wheelchairs, including:
- Roll-in showers;
- Wider doorways; and
- Emergency call bell system.
The program features housekeeping, meals, activities and 24-hour Health Care Aide assistance provided by Alberta Health Services.
Program members take part in the wide range of social and wellness activities.
Am I eligible for the Mobility Support Program?
You are eligible if you are:
- At least 65 years of age. Underage applicants may be considered;
- A non-smoker;
- Are on Home Care or have unscheduled care needs (such as needing help transferring to the washroom or bed);
- Unable to continue living in your current environment due to barriers and/or care needs;
- Able to identify your own needs and call for required help;
- Are medically stable and do not have memory issues (i.e. dementia) that impact daily living; and
- Please note: Only single suites are available at present.
This program may be helpful if you:
- Have mobility challenges and need to use a scooter or wheelchair;
- Require transfers involving no more than one person, but no mechanical lift requirements;
- Require assistance due to physical challenges that may include vision impairment or balance problems, or requiring help administering oxygen; and
- Have difficulty living in your current environment due to environmental barriers and/or care needs.
Silvera promotes a smoke-free environment.