Housing with Full Services and Health Supports
Silvera operates two communities that provide special health supports for residents: mobility supports at Shawnessy (SW), and support for individuals with early-stage dementia at Beaverdam (SE). These programs provide residents with extra supports to help them live independently as long as possible.
Shawnessy offers 15 barrier-free suites suitable for wheelchairs, including:
- Roll-in showers
- Wider doorways
- Call bell system
The program features housekeeping, meals, activities and support from Alberta Health Services health care aides. Residents may take part in a range of social and wellness activities.
This program may be right for you if you are:
- At least 65 years of age. Underage applicants may be considered
- A non-smoker
- With home care or have unscheduled care needs (such as needing help transferring to the washroom or bed)
- Unable to continue living in your current home due to barriers and/or care needs
- Able to identify your own needs and call for assistance if required
- Medically stable and do not have memory issues (i.e. dementia) that impact daily living
Early-stage dementia support
Beaverdam community offers supports for seniors living with mild to moderate memory loss. This special program enables seniors to continue living independently with a high quality of life.
The program features support from Alberta Health Services health care aides, and a range of social and wellness activities.
In addition to the memory care program at Beaverdam, the community also offers:
- Full dining services
- Weekly housekeeping
- A call-bell system in each suite
- Access to our resident support (social worker) team
The memory care program is for people who:
- Are at least 65 years of age (underage applicants may be considered).
- Have a dementia diagnosis or have been assessed by a professional medical practitioner as having cognitive impairment.
- Are concerned about continuing to manage safely in their current home
- Can function successfully with cueing and monitoring.
- Have personal care needs that can be met by home care. All Beaverdam residents must be enrolled with home care.
The program is not for people who:
- Do not have cognitive impairment to the level that negatively affects daily living.
- Require unscheduled care.
- Do not have managed incontinence.
- Require any ambulation assistance or transfers/lifts for care.
- Are smokers, or unwilling to quit when moving to Beaverdam.
- Have been assessed and are waiting for a higher level of care.
- Have complex, unstable medical needs – i.e. sliding scale insulin.
- Have behaviors related to dementia that are inappropriate for a mild to moderate dementia care community – i.e. aggression, inappropriate unwanted social interactions, etc
- Frequently/regularly refuse the care indicated in their Care Plan.
Please note: Admission may be dependent on MoCA or MMSE scores.